Romans Lesson 1
“The Great Doctrinal Platform”
KEY VERSES: ROMANS 1:16-17 – “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”
KEY WORDS: LAW – Found 78 times. FAITH – Found 62 times.
THEME: (1) The Righteousness of God through Jesus Christ. (2) Justification by Faith. (3) The Gospel (Good News) of Christ – the power of God to believers.
WRITER: The Apostle Paul.
WRITTEN To: Small group of Jewish believers at Rome (believed saved at Pentecost).
From: Corinth (on third missionary journey).
THE BOOK: Number in Bible – 45th book. Number of chapters – 16. Number of verses – 433. Number in order of writing: 6th Book of New Testament.
PURPOSE: 1) To set forth the cardinal doctrines of Christianity. 2) To tell of Paul’s coming visit to Rome.
1) How The Gospel Relates to Sinners (Ch. 1-3).
2) How The Gospel Relates to Saints (Ch. 4-8).
3) How The Gospel Relates to Select (Jews) (Ch. 9-11).
4) How The Gospel Relates to Servant (Ch. 12-16).
I. All Men Were Under Condemnation (1:18, 3:20):
1) The Gentiles Were Guilty (1:20)
a) Shunned the law of nature (1:20)
b) Shunned the law of conscience (2:14-16)
2) The Jews Were Guilty:
a) Had greater privileges than the Gentiles (3:2)
II. Salvation Came Through Faith in Christ (3;21;8:39):
1) It included Justification (3:21; 5:11)
a) God declaring men righteous
b) Came through Christ (3:24)
2) It included Sanctification (5:12; 8:13)
a) God making men righteous
b) Came through the obedience of Christ (5:19)
3) It included Glorification (8:14-39)
a) Made believers heirs with God (8:17)
b) Provided for the redemption of all nature (8:21)
III. Jews Refused God’s Righteousness (Ch. 9-11):
1) They had great opportunities but failed (9:4 and 5)
2) God was working His will in them (9:16)
3) They deliberately rebelled against God (10:21)
4) Their failure brought in the Gentiles (11:11)
IV. Christians Were to Live Righteous Lives (Ch. 12-16):
1) Their bodies were to be dedicated to God (12:1-2)
2) They were to be righteous to those within (12:10)
3) They were to be righteous to those without (12:18)
4) They were to be obedient to civil authorities (13:1)
5) They were to be considerate of all (14:19)
6) They were to shun false teachers (16:17)
The House of Romans:
1) The Vestibule (1:1-17)
2) The Room of Sin (1:18-3:31)
3) The Room of Justification (4-5:21)
4) The Room of Sanctification (6, 7)
5) The Room of Glorification (8-11)
6) The Room of Service (12-16)
1) Oracles of God – Not opinions of Men
2) Meat of Word – Not Milk of Word
3) Front Page – Not Footnotes
4) Forethought – Not Afterthought
5) Church Truth – Not Kingdom Truth
6) Message of Grace – Not Message of Law
7) Lovely Saints in Christ – Not Lost Sheep of Israel
RIGHTEOUSNESS IN ROMANS:
1) Righteousness Required (Ch. 1-2)
2) Righteousness Revealed (Ch. 3)
3) Righteousness Received (Ch. 4-5)
4) Righteousness Rejected (Ch. 9-10)
5) Righteousness Reproduced (Ch. 12-16)
NOTE: There are more Old Testament quotations in Romans than in all of the other epistles put together. (70).
Simply click the “Take the Quiz” Button to the right. Have your KJV Bible with you, and look up the answers to the questions on the quiz. You can then answer the questions from the Bible, (Open Book Test).