Mark Lesson 1
“The Servant of Man”
KEY VERSE:Mark 10:45 – “For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.”
KEY WORD:Immediately (Straightway). Found 40 times.
THEME:Jesus Christ is presented as the Suffering Servant.
WRITER:John Mark (Cousin of Barnabas, Colossians 4:10 – son of Mary of Jerusalem.)
WRITTEN:To: Romans (Gentiles) From: Rome (Probably).
THE BOOK:Number in Bible – 41st Book. Number of Chapters – 16. Number of Verses: 678. Number in Order of Writing – 2nd in New Testament.
PURPOSE:To present our Lord Jesus Christ as Servant.
DIVISIONS: Three Main Divisions of Mark:
1) Introduction and Identification of Servant
2) Miracles and Ministry of Servant
3) From the Transfiguration to the Ascension
OUTLINE:Our outline divides Mark into two sections:
1) The Servant gives His life in Service
2) The Servant gives His life in Sacrifice
I. The Servant Gives His Life in Service:
1) The Servant’s Work (1-3)
a)The work begun (l)
b)The work belittled (2:1, 3:6)
c) The work blessed (3:7-19)
d) The work blasphemed
2) The Servant’s Words (4-5)
a) Exact in Purpose (4:1-34)
b) Executive in Power (4:35; 5:43)
3) The Servant’s Ways (6:1, 8:26)
a) The attitude of others to God’s Servant (6:1-29)
4) The Servant’s Worth (8:27,9:13)
5) The Servant’s Will (9:14-29)
6) The Servant’s Wisdom (9:30; 10:52)
II. The Servant Give His Life in Sacrifice:
1) He Previews the Crisis of Calvary (11-12)
2) He Portrays the Consequences of Calvary (13:14-31)
3) He Permits the Cross of Calvary (14:32; 15:47)
4) He Proves the Crime of Calvary (16)
a) By Conquering the grave (16:1-4)
b) By Circling the globe (16:15-20)
MISCELLANEOUS:Mark Blessed With:
1) Godly Home (Acts 12:12)
2) Godly Companions (Acts 12:25)
3) Godly Service (II Timothy 4:1)
Dr. Tom Wallace
Simply click the “Take the Quiz” Button to the right. Have your KJV Bible with you, and look up the answers to the questions on the quiz. You can then answer the questions from the Bible, (Open Book Test).